Following these tips are key to ensuring your newborn baby session will be a success! All newborn sessions are in the morning. If you are travelling to Stevenage for your newborn session please take traffic at that time in top account.
- Before the shoot, please feed baby 20-30minutes prior and plan on feeding him/her throughout the session if needed.
- DO NOT let baby sleep beforehand. Instead give baby a bath, let them kick around in a nappy, tickle toes and even let them fuss. Keep this going for around 2 hours leading up to the session. This will ensure those sleepy newborn pictures. I can not stress how important it is to do your best to keep baby awake. Many parents come in saying “baby has been sleeping all morning, but trust me, he sleeps so good at this time of day!” only to have baby wake up since they will be unclothed and unswaddled.
- Please dress baby in a sleep suit that opens at the front, not outfit that needs to be taken off over babies head! Baby will more than likely fall asleep in the car on the way to the session. I try my best to undress them gently so they do not wake. If it is cold, use an extra blanket instead of a vest.
- Bring plenty milk and dummies. Baby will feed more often as he/she is being handled and moved around so will need a little more. Even if you do not usually use dummies, please bring one along to the session as sometimes the comfort is enough to settle baby for a photo.
For Mum and Dad
- Mums- please keep outfits simple. Keep the colours neutral. A simple vest looks great with a neutral knitted cardigan. Please keep nail polish clean and free from bright colours. When looking at your portrait you do not want to be drawn to bright nails and bright patterned clothing.
- Dads- topless with snug jeans looks best. Babies love skin to skin contact and are often very settled in daddies hands. If you prefer to not be topless please bring a light coloured t-shirt free from logos and patterns.
- Sisters- Please keep to pastel and neutral colour outfits. Keep away from patterns but feel free to include texture. Lace and chiffon tops/dresses with knitwear.
- Brothers- A snug pair of jeans and topless are preferred. If your little guy won’t be comfortable with this, please bring along a light well fitting t-shirt.
- It is preferred siblings only attend the last 30minutes of a session. The room is very hot and they can get very agitated and bored. As baby often arrives asleep I prefer to get the portraits of baby on their own done first. A wriggly sibling often wakes baby up and we would much rather this happen at the end of the session as opposed to the beginning of the session. If you have no option but to bring baby, there is a park nearby one of you could take them for a little walk. Please also bring snacks along to keep little one happy.
I work from my home studio: 109 Bude Crescent, Stevenage, SG1 2QW. Please ensure you arrive on time as sometimes I hold two sessions a day so being late will eat into your session time.
If you have any other questions please feel free to send me an email <3